Parasitology Training Manual
- Abbreviation: Bc
- Size cyst: 40 - 65 microns
- Size trophozoites: 50 - 100 microns
- Cyst and trophozoite form with characteristic micro and macro nucleus.
- Pathogenic ciliate causing balantidiasis.
- Mild infections occur with diarrhea, abdominal pain and alternating periods of constipation.
- A dysenteric form has much the same symptoms but with up to 20 stools per day, including blood
- The fulminant form presents itself with colonization of the bowel causing perforation.
- See L.P.T.P. Survey 9504 and 9705.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
Return To Flagellate Introduction
The material on this site is owned by Scientific Image and
David M. Raymondo
Professional Affiliation: Gamma-Dynacare Medical Laboratories, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Gamma-Dynacare is a Division of the Dynacare Health Group